Sunday, April 11, 2021

What I found in Paris

For various reasons in the last few years, I have found myself dipping into what has become a mini-genre: memoirs of living in Paris. For someone who has actually lived in Paris, this is an ambivalent experience, prompting, variously, nostalgia, surprise or disagreement. And of course stirring up similar memories of Paris: that first experience of the city, navigating the new environment, becoming “Parisian” oneself, etc. One response might be to write my own memoir. And I may do that one day. But for now a simpler answer is to capture these memories piecemeal and see how much they resonate with others. An effort I now begin with this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obscene hot dogs and soaked sandwiches

 Today, a young American might find Paris fast and street food unremarkable, not least because so much of it is American. Even kebab shops o...